YUMs (Young Mums, Tots & Tums) is a fortnightly friendship, social and support group based in Middleton for young mums and mums to be who are 25 and under living in LS10 and LS11. It’s a space where women can come together and develop strong friendships and peer support networks. We cover different topics each session and many group members have gone on to become volunteers with the group, in other Womens Health Matters projects and elsewhere. We eat lunch together before the children go into the crèche next door while we are in the group.
The project offers –
- Lunch for mum and the children
- A chance to become a volunteer or be part of various research or youth involvement projects – to have your voice heard on things that affect you such as maternity services and health care!
- Trips out with the children
- The chance to learn new skills and discuss things that matter to you such as breastfeeding, parenting, first aid, managing stress and staying healthy
- Sessions with the children such as Reading Matters and Diddi Dance
What group members have said about YUMs –
My favourite thing about it, is how there’s always something for everyone. The sessions are planned so that everyone can get something out of them. They’re fun, creative, and keep everyone interested and involved.
YUMS is different, because it’s all about the mums. We have our child friendly sessions, but the meets are primarily mum based, and it’s nice to have that time, while your children are still near and you know they’re safe, to just be you and to be with friends and sorta just let your hair down.
The group saved my life, quite literally, and has helped me to grow as a person. Volunteering in particular has helped me be more patient and tolerant, and much less judgey!! If I could say one thing above all else that I learned, it’s that I have a voice, a strong one, and that I am ALLOWED to use it to stand up for what I believe in.
You can refer yourself or be referred by a professional. If you’d like a referral form, a leaflet or to ask us any questions, contact us on 0113 2762851.