Family Canvas offers short-term Art Therapy to women and their children. There are two options of support available:
3 sessions for women and their children together. Through art making, women and their children can explore themes such as their family, memories, and hopes. The project also helps to build bonds between women and their children as the art-making encourages sharing, turn-taking, mutual reflection and boundary setting. Sessions are delivered by an HCPC registered Art Psychotherapist.
Up to 12 one-to-one sessions for women whose children live elsewhere. Sessions offer the opportunity to work creatively in an encouraging and non-judgemental environment, with a choice of materials at hand. Sessions are delivered by a trainee Art Psychotherapist. (*Please note, these sessions are available for internal referrals only)
There is no one reason why women and children may be referred to Family Canvas, though we often support families where there have been periods of separation, experiences of domestic abuse, or childhood trauma.
Thank you to The D’Oyly Carte Charitable Trust for funding this project.
- Improved wellbeing
- Increased opportunity for expression through artmaking
- Family bonding and communication
- Confidence to use creativity as a way of reflecting and self-soothing
- Free sessions with a HCPC registered/trainee Art Psychotherapist
- Time and space for women and children to engage with their creativity
- Access to high quality resources and materials
- Work to take home if wanted
- Travel contribution